You often hear that you should always be looking for your next job, but when you are looking, how do you go about it discreetly?
US News & World Report sums it up perfectly in a recent story posted about this topic.
- Maintain a positive attitude—This is a great one. It’s always hard to stay motivated when you are trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it is important to stay focused and not slip at your current job.
- Don’t let your job search enter the office—Do not look for jobs while at work. Do not. Save the searching for your off time. Looking for jobs on company time with company materials can easily be traced.
- Keep it cool on social media—Providing job updates on your social media channels is not the best idea. Even though you might not converse with colleagues, that doesn’t mean that they are not watching you.
- Don’t use your current employer as a reference—Instead, you should be making sure that your current employer is NOT contacted. Use previous employers as references.
- Remember company dress code—Be sure that you are not showing up to work in a suit when you usually wear jeans and a t-shirt. People will be suspicious.
Overall, keep the job search under the radar, and always be respectful of your current employer. If the job you are looking for/interviewing for doesn’t work out, you want to make sure you have a happy and secure job to go back to!